- Lack of calories, risk factors include poverty or lack of access to food resources for whatever reason
- Advanced COPD, CHF and CKD can lead to cachexia, a multi-factorial process associcated w/loss of muscle mass, fat stores, weakness & poor prognosis
- Chronic auto-immune/inflammatory conditions. Specific processes identified via history and characteristic symptoms.
- Anosmia→ can't smell normally, which affects taste
- Chronic or acute kidney disease, liver disease, other chronic medical conditions
- Depression, other psychiatric illness